Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hello 2010

A little late, I know. At first I thought turning 22 was unlucky - turns out it was 2009!

Lets recap on 2009 - my car got stolen. Twice.

Though there's a lot more, but I think that sums it up best. I guess it was more the second half of the year. I kept getting smashed at work, felt distant from my roommates, disconnected from Taus, and started fighting with Edward. & then came Dax.

I left Los Angeles and tried to find myself in thought in Singapore. Returned home to the solitude that is my bed. To me, San Francisco is my lonely city, where I didn't have many friends before and those I kept, moved on in my absence. I entertained myself with trips and things, most notably my Ondoy Relief project. I turned 22 & my world spiraled, collapsed, and sunk. The rejection of job searching left self esteem so low I just wanted to hide under the covers - and this I did. My family stood together in support of each other & I ran away many times. Sir Edward came home.

I know that a new year doesn't mean anything is different, but it does wonders to the mentality. I spent new years eve at the Hynson's sending out my resume & cover letter to prospects. With Sir Ed's dwindling patience with me, it was clear I needed to be my own - and in this city.

Because Blair Waldorf does not go back to Constance. With time, she will take over NYU with the loving support of Chuck Bass. (I'm only on Season 3, Episode 5. Please don't spoil it.)

So 2010, (it's twenty-ten, grammatically correct) which, just had to start with more fighting and retreating of course. My resolution being, rebuild my San Francisco life. So there I sat through Invictus, sandwiched between my favorite joe shmoes: a new-we're-so-happy couple to my left and harassment-central to my right. The week ended with the typical father being disappointed in me speech - for being unemployed, for thinking I should work in a field that makes me happy, for worrying about money. Correction: it really ended with me flying back to Los Angeles.

I had a marvelous week. I arrived just in time for the Zeta Phi Rho rush club party at Fu's Palace and rendezvoused with sisters, friends - old & new, & girlfriends. Shopped with two girliest of girls, freeloaded hotdogs and education, playdated with Thump Thump, sipped on Sober Sunday stories, and participated in a sickening drinking study for $50 - all the while freelancingly developing my contract work with Active Voice in consulting for their Have You Heard Campaign. I got the wire to go home for an interview with The Asia Foundation, and set up a meeting with the senior editor of The Beat Within.

No comments:

Post a Comment