Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Introducing the Center for Asian American Media

So, here I am on the road, er in the air again - I should say. It’s been a long time since I’ve written and with very good reason! I can’t decide whether I’ll write all the things I’ve been up to in one entry or cheatingly back date my entries. I guess the posting will tell, soon enough. I am always thinking about what I am going to write though, so here is the line up, chronologically:

Center for Asian American Media

Active Voice

Wisdom Teeth

Youth Works

The Beat

I did drop off the face of the Earth because of a personal emotional roller coaster, which I did blog about and post briefly - those night owls out there may have caught it, but the live version is much better and the feature film will be great too. Inspired by those recent turn of events, (exactly an whole month ago!), I jumped my job search in full gear and secured the paper work to transfer my aunt’s car title to my name, for use while she was away. The deal was I get to keep it under the condition I don’t get it stolen again or name it something stupid like Fred.

Job Searching: I set on a two-pronged strategy approach. I read somewhere (a book I perused through at Borders, apologies for not remembering/crediting that information) that online searching yields only a 10% success rate, taking an unnecessary toll on one’s self esteem, whereas networking bumps it up to 72%. (I like those odds.) I set about organizing my online search, which has been strictly idealist and Craigslist, saving postings I find by submission deadline and then assigning myself to do one each day. Then I made it a to-do to write to those I had crossed paths with, which involved a bit of research about each of them.

Researching one of them, I am now drawing a blank as to who it actually was, I landed on the job forum on the Bay Area Video Coalition’s website. There, I found exciting media related opportunities, particularly an internship at the Center for Asian American Media (CAAM). Actually, months ago a friend told me to look into this organization, she loved them. The development internship promised event planning, corporate/donor relations, and graphic design practice for their SF International Asian American Film Festival this month. Although the deadline had passed, I submit a tailored resume/cover letter and received a call early the next day.

The next day was really funny actually. Shattered, I woke up at 9 am with the proactive change of heart on the day of my aunt and uncles 3 month cruise departure. Within 20 minutes, their car title was transferred to my name (a plan I deemed unnecessary just two days prior.) At 10 am, we took my uncle to his doctor appointment, at noon to radiology – there I received the call. The team had been so impressed with my resume that they might have another opportunity for me. Great! I’m thinking maybe a paid position. When can you come in for an interview? Today? Great! I took the bus home, prepped, and arrived early for my meeting with the Devo team. That night, I posted my graphic designs on the print section of my website for them to see. I left for Los Angeles that Friday morning. See next post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment